The history of Jessie Younghusband School
Our school was opened in 1965 and was named after Jessie Madeleine Younghusband, a former Chichester City councillor. She was highly respected for her community and voluntary work in the area and was Chairman of the Primary Schools Managers for 20 years.
The school comprises of seven classrooms, a library / foyer, hall, group rooms, computer suite, small kitchen, kiln room, cloakroom and toilet facilities, and administrative accommodation. All classrooms and the computer suite have interactive whiteboards.
The playground area is marked out with a large variety of play markings, and an exciting selection of play equipment is available at playtimes. The school grounds are an important part of our environment, including a sensory garden, a quiet courtyard, an outside classroom with a pond, a vegetable garden and a “bottle” greenhouse. Trees for shade and interest, two trim-trails and play boat are also features which encourage positive play and imaginative games.
- Jessie Younghusband was born in 1892 in Eastbourne, East Sussex.
- Her full name was Jessie Madeleine Younghusband.
- Her father was a clergyman; she had three brothers.
- Jessie's grandfather was a canon of Chichester Cathedral and a Principal of Bishop Otter College.
- She lived at 60 North Street with her mother; later she moved to Cambrai Avenue, to a small detached house called “Southlea”.
- A great deal of her life was spent doing voluntary work with the City Council as Chairman of the Managers of Chichester County Primary Schools, the Red Cross and other organisations in Chichester.
- She was frequently to be seen around Chichester with her bicycle and her pointer dog, wearing her Red Cross uniform.
- She had a kind and gentle manner.
- Jessie Younghusband was the aunt of Beau Younghusband. He found our website when he was surfing the Internet and came to visit our school.