Our School Lunches


Please note that Jessie Younghusband School is a NUT AWARE SCHOOL.

Lunch boxes, or any food brought into school, must not contain any nuts or any products containing nuts.

If your child does have a food allergy or intolerance, please make sure to contact the School Office in order for them to put the necessary procedures in place (in accordance with our First Aid Policy).

The school has a kitchen and you may choose whether your child has a hot school dinner or brings a packed lunch. Since September 2014, all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to a Universal Free School Meal. The meal provides at least two of the suggested five a day portions of fruit and vegetables and meets the Government’s food and nutrient based standards. A school meal consists of: a hot main course, fruit based dessert, fresh milk and bread. Details on how to book hot school lunches for Key Stage 2 children can be found on the Chartwells website:

Did you know that if you are in receipt of any of the benefits listed below and you apply for Free School Meals (FSM) (even if your child in is Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 and is already entitled to a free meal) the school will receive a Pupil Premium grant? This money is then used in school to fund extra staff to support your child’s learning, as well as being used to fund all off-site visits, music lessons from West Sussex Music plus before-school and after-school clubs.

Eligible benefits include:

  • Income support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support from the National Asylum Support Service (NASS) under part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (with no working tax credit) with an annual income of no more than £16,190
  • Working Tax Credit run-on
  • Universal Credit

If you are in receipt of any of the benefits specified above, please complete an application form as our school will not receive any additional funding unless parents have registered. You can apply online at:


Alternatively, please call in to see one of the office staff who will be very happy to help you fill in an application form.